19.6.04

Yes. I entered an essay into the 2020 Democrats contest to speak at the Opposition nomination convention. The list of finalists, to be honest, isn't very impressive. I wrote mine in a rush a day after the deadline had passed, and I won't pretend it was anything super-special, but there's little inspiration in the essays that did make it. And it might sound like I'm trying to rationalise the fact that I wasn't chosen, but I'm really not sure I want to be a registered Dem anymore. If there's one thing I could point to that's destroying our democracy, it would be stupidity, but the second thing would be our current party system. Pigeonholing ourselves seems to be a human trait, but being able to choose only one side or the other means that you're automatically a warrior/partisan for that group, lending your time and money to the cause of Us Verses Them, which in the end benefits no one.

So here we go. As soon as I get around to it, I'm going Independent.

No comments: